Easy Stir Fry
- Skillet/pan for frying
- Rice cooker (or a pot with a lid)
- 16 ounces super firm tofu cubed
- 1-2 zucchinis half-moons
- 1 head broccoli chopped
- 1 white onion chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms quartered
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 cup white jasmine rice rinsed under cold water
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup plum sauce
- 3 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- hoisin sauce to taste
- 4 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Rinse rice under cold water using a mesh strainer until water runs clear. Add rice to pot with 1 cup water. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let steam for about 20 minutes. Do not remove the lid to check on the rice until 20 minutes has passed.
- After you have your rice going, rinse and prepare your tofu and vegetables. If you are using the suggested super firm tofu, then wrap the tofu with a clean paper tower and gently squeeze out some of the excess water. If your tofu needs to be pressed, see the notes. Cube tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Heat large skillet over high heat. Once hot, add 2-4 tbsp cooking oil to skillet, then add the tofu. Allow tofu to cook for about 5 minutes on one side before carefully turning the cubes over with a spatula. Continue to check and flip every three minutes or so.
- While the tofu fries in the pan, prepare your veggies. Chop onion, cut up broccoli, and quarter the mushrooms. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Heat your wok over high heat. Allow your wok to get very hot before adding oil. Once hot, add 2 tbsp cooking oil, wait a moment, then carefully add the vegetables. Stir often until vegetables are done, about 5-7 minutes, or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Step away from stirring the vegetables and tofu to whip up your sauce for the tofu. Mix the plum sauce, tamari, and crushed red pepper flakes together well and set aside.
- By the time your vegetables are done cooking, the tofu and rice should also be done. Cut the heat to all the burners. Add the plum/tamari sauce to the tofu immediately after cutting the heat. Let it get thick and sticky to coat the tofu. At this point you may also add hoisin, tamari, or any other seasoning or sauce to the vegetables.
- Serve stir-fried vegetables and tofu over rice. Garnish with chopped green onion.
Pressing Tofu – If you’ve never pressed tofu before, I recommend this video to walk you through the process. Pressing tofu takes 30 minutes to an hour, so that’s why I use super firm tofu for this quick and easy meal. Garnish Options – If you don’t like green onion, other options for garnishes include cilantro, Thai basil, sesame seeds, peanuts, kimchi, etc. Sauce – If you’re looking to simplify this recipe even more, you can use a store bought vegan stir fry sauce.